An Interview with Adrian Watson
What was your first job in recruitment and how did you get into it?
- Similar to what I do now. I became a Recruitment Consultant working for a similar sized business to Premier Jobs UK. At the time, I was a Financial Adviser and had been doing well but was at a crossroads in my career. My Divisional Director introduced me to the business owner, and we met up for a chat. I had always wanted to be self employed and work for myself, but I never knew how to go about it. I’m pleased to say that I have never looked back since.
What do you enjoy most about recruitment?
- I just like to help people to be honest. It is a sense of really supporting someone move on in their career. They are at a crossroads for whatever reason and it is about truly understanding them as a person and finding the right home for them to flourish. It is equally satisfying knowing that you are providing the company with a person with the right character and motivation to suit their values and environment
What would you consider to be the highlight of your career?
- ‘I moved to Swindon to set up a regional hub specialising in mortgage underwriting from professional introducers. Around 30 of these were set up nationally at the same time and they were all failing miserably primarily due to inadequate resource to cope with the business volumes. The business had a multi-billion contract with a major supplier who spoke of reneging on their contract due to the service levels throughout the UK. Through tough decisions and clear focus, we succeeded in delivering on all key performance measures and I won a national award in recognition of this. Based on this success, I was tasked to set up a further mortgage underwriting operation to deal exclusively with High Value clients to satisfy the major introducer and retain this contract. The highlight for me is that this was a job I was advised to stay away from as it could damage my reputation – yet it only enhanced it as I was able to deliver against all the odds’.
How do you feel candidate’s benefit from working with Premier Jobs UK?
- ‘We’re honest, we’re genuine and we consult rather than sell. We do our upmost to find a long term match for both parties. We want the best for each candidate and try to listen and really understand them as individuals whilst also being honest and keeping them informed throughout the process. One of our greatest strengths is our deep understanding of the financial services market. We’re consistent, genuine and always give our best’
How do you feel clients benefit from working with Premier Jobs UK?
- ‘We put as much emphasis on the clients as we do on the candidates and we really try to get to understand them as people and as businesses. We find out what they do and don’t like and find strong suitable candidates to match their requirements. For every vacancy we would rather send 3 – 4 good quality candidates rather than 10 mediocre cv’s. Our aim is to provide a selection of candidates who have the right profile, experience and character which fits in with what each client is looking for. Clients understand we listen to them and trust us as a result.’
If your colleagues were to describe you in 3 words, what would they say?
Currently, what is your biggest challenge?
- ‘Responding to changes in the market and making sure I am moving with it. A lot of the work I do is more biased towards Financial Advisers and the Financial Planning / Wealth Management market. My greatest challenge is to keep moving with the shifts in the financial services industry and to diversify into other key areas
What is your proudest moment in recruitment?
- ‘No matter who I’m working with, I always try to do the best I possibly can whilst being honest and straight with both candidates and clients alike. My aim is to always build trusted relationships.’
Do you have any tips to stay focused?
- ‘Setting goals! Set out clearly what you want to accomplish, why you want to achieve this and how you are going to do it. Always have a purpose to work towards.